PDA

View Full Version : Best Fishing Line???

surfrage27
06-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Okay, here's the deal. I have purchased more than 10 different kinds of fishing line (all 6 lb. test) in the past year, but nothing seems to be "good."
I would like to know what's the strongest.
Also, it occured to me that i have been stringing up my reels by myself. My friend told me to go to a fishing shop and have them do it. Is it worth it?

SENKOSAM
06-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Power Pro for spinning and spincasting and Stealth, Tuf or Power Pro for baitcasting.

lightninrod
06-10-2005, 02:18 PM
I've been using Seaguar's Carbon Pro (http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage-SCPFL.html) 100% fluro for several years now and it has never failed me. I use it for everything but topwater as fluro sinks. I use their 15 and 20# test and have some on one or more of my seven rigs for over a year now; strong/abrasion-reistant, low-stretch, long-lasting, extremely sensitive, and it's almost invisable underwater.

Dan

srw
12-09-2005, 02:28 PM
i use p-line only, it has never failed me

fishinfool
12-09-2005, 10:42 PM
I Luved the Spiderwire "Fusion", for just about every application.

srw
12-14-2005, 01:13 AM
also besides p-line being my fav line, i also spool my own reels with a cheap line spooler. its a berkely line spooler wich does an excellent job, plus it comes with a line remover wich saves alot of time removing line by hand. i think you can find them at wal-mart, or the bass proshops catalog.

5littleones
12-25-2005, 10:17 AM
This subject is very much a personal choice deal ...

Like you, I've personally fished with many line of all different kinds over the year as a well. My personal preference currently is as follows:

For spinning tackle, I use Cabelas ProLine 6-10#'s depending on what I'm fishing (darthead, texas riggs, and where I'm fishing, open water or around docks).

For casting tackle other than reaction baits, I'm using the Cabelas Proline flourocarbon. I've used Seagur CarbonPro, Yamamoto flouro lines and others as well. They're either too expensive (Yamamoto line) or ... just don't hold up (Berkeley Vanish). This Cabelas line is cheap ($20 for a 1/4 pound spool) and have held up for the last few years I've been using them.

For cranking, I'm still playing ... I've used the Bass Pro Shops Excel line w/ success. This line has a bit of stretch (rubber band like), but it's tough. So if your rod is a bit stiffer (graphite rod and unlike perhaps a fiberglass rod) then this is a great choice as it is also inexpensive and quite tough. I've also played w/ the Sunline Machine Gun (is what I currently have spooled) and I do like that line, but it's a bit expensive for my real liking. The Excel line is also VERY limp and handles very well. Even w/ 20# test, it does not coil up like many other lines would do. I have cranked w/ 20# test on the Delta and Clear Lake and have not had many problems with that. I'm either going back to Excel or the Cabelas ProLine for they are REALLY GOOD LINES and inexpensive.

iceman
12-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Well this is a pretty wide open question that shows up on message boards all the time. I've narrowed down my line choices over the years to a few but still got my eyes open this winter for maybe adding a new flouracarbon line for jigging and dropshotting. here is my list of lines that I've been using the last 3 years.

Spinning rods... 6-10# test... P-line Flouraclear. works for me better than any line I've ever used for spinning.

Baitcasting... 12-20# test... For topwater, crankbaits, senkos, spinnerbaits and everything else I use a combination of P-line Flouraclear and The G-line From Gamakatsu. these lines have never let me down. Strong, small diam. Very easy casting and last nice on the spool.

Braid... 50# power pro handles great. never a tangle problem

Jigging... 16# Sugoi Flour. from Yamamoto Super strong!!! lasts a whole season on the reel.

I spool all my reels myself. get the kids to help!! Hope this helps ya!!

Great board here guys, keep the info coming, I'll be posting questions here regularly this winter!!

baptistebaptist
01-11-2006, 04:49 AM
all around i like cajun red cast i use it on all my spinning set ups as well as all my casters well i have 1 caster with pline but that one will get cajun red cast also